To help ensure the safety of all Burnaby residents during winter months, Burnaby City Council, under the direction of the new mayor, Mike Hurley, passed a motion on November 26, 2018, to provide warming centres at various locations throughout the City. The first two warming centres will be opening on Wednesday, December 12. The centres will be open from 8 pm to 8 am, 7 days a week until March 2019. A third location will open on the evening of Friday, December 14.
The warming centres locations are:
- Kensington Pitch and Putt Fieldhouse at 5889 Curtis Street (opening Dec. 12)
- Swangard Stadium’s Hospitality Room/North Concourse at 3883 Imperial Street (at Kingsway & Boundary Road) (opening Dec. 12)
- City Operations Centre, 5970 Beresford Street (opening Dec. 14)
The warming centres will provide:
- basic shelter for the night
- washroom facilities
- tables and chairs
- hot beverages and snacks
- space for people’s belongings
- pets welcome, as long as the pets are not causing a disturbance or deemed by staff to be putting people at risk of harm
More information can be found on the City’s website at www.burnaby.ca/warmingcentres. A copy of the recent press release can be viewed here. Please help us spread the word.