Hello Friends of the Society to End Homelessness in Burnaby!
Some fantastic news and a request seeking volunteers and food providers.
The Extreme Heat cooling site opened on July 30 and closed on August 4th – 6 days of intense heat! During that time, service was given 308 times! Please find our Report of the opening here. The daytime pop up site operated from Burnaby Civic Square, thanks to support from the City, and was outdoors, under trees and canopies. Food, water, juices, fruit and a variety of other services were available, thanks to broad community support.
The cooling site is likely opening next August 11 to 15th, as per Environment Canada.
The Extreme Weather Heat Response is seeking food providers for 58 sandwiches, juice, fruit and if possible, goodie bags to distribute freely to people experiencing homelessness and others who are seeking refuge from the heat. We have three days without a food provider, so if your organization, church group or group of friends can assist, it will allow us to provide the basic necessities.
We are also seeking a few more volunteers to help with set up, take down and operation of the cooling site during this time period, especially for the Saturday and Sunday.
Hours of Operation: 11:30 – 6:30 pm each day August 11 – 15th – 5 days
Additional Volunteer help needed:
- 2 volunteers for setup, 10:30 am-11:30 am (gather, set up awnings, tables, chairs, fans, water containers, etc.) on Aug 12 to 15th
- Volunteers for serving – shift length is two hours per shift, (serve food, beverages and hygiene supplies, and engage people in conversation and board games)
- 11:30 – 1:30 pm – 2 volunteers – Aug 12 – Aug 15
- 1:30 – 3:30 pm – 1 volunteer – Aug 12 – Aug 15
- 3:30 – 5:30 pm – 2 volunteers – Aug 14 & Aug 15
- 5:30 – 6:30 pm – 2 volunteers – Aug 13 – 15
- 2 volunteers for takedown, 6:30 – 7:30 pm (take down & pack away awnings, tables, chairs, fans, water containers, etc.) on August 13 – 15; preferably someone with a truck or trailer.
Apply now to be a volunteer here!