Thank You Burnaby!
Thank you so much to the Community of Burnaby who came together during the extreme heat this summer to help us establish Burnaby’s very first cooling centres.
To see the full report of our EWHR program this summer, you can download our City Council Presentation here:
The cooling site was 100% run by volunteers and supported by the very generous Burnaby community. We are extremely grateful for all the assistance that was so generously given.
The efforts of this community coming together made this cooling site so successful – While we cannot acknowledge each and every individual or provider, we will share some to give an idea of the breadth of this community response:
- To our Alert Team: especially Dave at Lookout Society and Norman, resident, who called the openings/closures, and Karen O’Shannacery for organizing and supporting the response
- The daily set up/take down crew – Mike, Len & Peter – as well as city staff volunteering after-hours and helping us troubleshoot needs such as water and power at the park!
- The Community Peer Resources who provided daily services including their outreach! Huge shout out to Hedy, Sean, Jane and Jason!
- Our incredible food providers – Deer Lake United Church took on the lions share of supplying nutrition, but also Southside Community Church, individuals such as Val Liddle, Teresa Rossiello, Shelley Roxburgh and Zara Thomas!
- The volunteer service team – new volunteers – many of whom came back repeatedly such as Gerlinde, Julia, Val, Kaylan, Nadine
- Burnaby Public Library provided the WIFI.
- Burnaby Neighbourhood House loaned staging space for all our equipment and supplies. What an amount of work and time that saved!
- Progressive Housing Outreach Workers popped by to provide follow up
- Homelessness Services Association BC provided the well utilized and very appreciated misting kit
- The Salvation Army supplied much of the drinking water
- Thanks to MLA Anne Kang for organizing for 180 of Hon’s sausages and bringing them daily, hot and fresh including from her own oven!
- Thanks also to MP Peter Julian who brought water donations
- Tina, a Fraser Health Psychiatric Nurse, dropped by repeatedly and provided additional support.
- Special thanks to the City staff that provided the location, porta-potties, access to water for the misting station (yeah Steve!), City security popped by to ensure we were good and to help (Jimmy was awesome!), and Rob organized for power to run large fans. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to Margie and Rebekah who were our main contacts for city assistance.